Light Fidelity is a wireless visible system for communications traveling at very high speed. Li-Fi is faster and more reliable connection in future and has more availability of data supply from existing technologies of 4G, LTE, and Wi-Fi.
Li-Fi is similar to infra-red technology in your remote control, it’s a wireless network for communication and high speed and also bi-directional, meaning you can communicate with Li-Fi enabled devices.
Li-Fi uses bulb emitting diodes to enable transfer of data at a very high speed of up to 224 gigabits per second.
Working of Li-Fi:
Li-Fi and Wi-Fi are relatively similar as both transmit data, but Wi-Fi uses radio signals whereas Li-fi uses visible light for transmitting. This means Li-fi accommodates photo-detector to convert signals into stream-able content. A LED light bulb is a semiconductor light source that constant current supplied to bulb can be dimmed and dipped without being visible to human eye.
Benefits of Li-Fi:
- Increases Security:
WiFi uses radio signals that can pass through walls that can be intercepted by people with bad intentions but Li-Fi can’t pass through walls, it is more secure and has more control over the emission of data.
- Influences existing infrastructure:
According to research, there were almost 15 billion light bulbs; since Li-Fi works on light technology so there are 15 billion chances of data transmission over Li-Fi. Li-Fi can even work with the flashlight of smartphone for data transfer.
- Boosts Internet Speed:
Li-Fi speed is more than 10,000 times faster than radio signals that are used by Wi-Fi, so there is room for Li-Fi to grow in the market.
Li-Fi works with efficiency, as led provides illumination and data transmission is free, it doesn’t take much power. Led output power is programmable that means when a node is not using for transferring it can automatically hibernate its transmission properties.
Li-Fi can be used in a variety of fields due to its key features such as energy efficiency, high data rates. These channels can supply different role into each separate pool of light some of them are:
- Li-Fi served in the field of transportation: Use Led lights in vehicles or traffic signals to make communication between vehicle to vehicle or vehicle to the roadside, and also for connection between smart cities.
- Dense urban Environment: it provides high data rate even in the hotel corridor or reception for customers; moreover it is available in every room as it doesn’t need to pass through walls. You can provide internet access through street lamps, so in this way, you will save money for the country.
- Underwater Communication: Radio signals are immediately dropped in water, so radio signals can’t be used in water but light can be penetrating for long distances.
- Sensitive Data: Hospitals also used Li-Fi; it provides better deployment of secure medical instruments, patient details etc.