The concept of artificial blood sounds simple but it is not. The blood main aim to supply oxygen to tissues, the scientists have to found out an alternative way how oxygen is supplied to tissues that could be used for transfusions.
Today, National Health Service of UK announced they can be able to transfuse people with artificial blood in early 2017 – this may be the first clinical trial anywhere in the world.
What is Artificial Blood?
Artificial blood is a product made to work as a substitute of red blood cells; actually, artificial blood is misleading technology no blood is much more effective than human blood, these are just expanders which increase blood volume and also oxygen therapeutics.
William in 1616, he was the first person discovered the circulation of blood then scientist starts thinking to replace it by other liquids like milk or wine, obviously, that was interesting and some disappointing experiments.
University of Edinburgh:
According to university, they said artificial blood could replace blood one day, they have been using stem cells to create red blood cells and in 2016 they are planning to take a trial of blood for the first time in stems of the patient. The £5 million project is working by University and after buytramadolbest.com/phentermine.html years of research, they grow red blood cells, the process involves using the adult skin, and stems that are modified into stem cells.
Why there is need of Artificial Blood?
National Health said more than five million Americans require blood transfusions; it means many people need blood mostly in case of thalassemia due to this problem doctors have developed the technique of artificial blood and they are working on this; demand of blood is increased at extreme level more than 14 million units of blood is used last year in the United States.
Benefits of Artificial Blood:
- Blood replacement products may store for a long time while human blood is stored within few weeks of being donated.
- These products stored at room temperature while human blood is stored in refrigerators.
- There is no risk of transfusion reaction that caused by a mismatch of blood type.
- These are sterilized eliminating infection risk.
- It also benefits in Armed services, as in battle it is almost impossible to supply rapid blood transfusions and it is difficult to maintain safe and adequate blood.
- Fake blood is used to transfuse the lost blood in case of surgery or injury; to provide blood to a patient of thalassemia, this is blood disorder that requires blood for several times.