Introduction to Nano Technology:
Nano technology is a study of particles between 1 nm and 100 nm in size. Nano Technology is the creation and use of devices at the same size as molecular and other structures typically less than 100nm in size.
Scientists are working on nanotechnology for centuries but the effectiveness of their work comes recent decades like the development of microscopes capable of displaying particle as small as an atom.
Nano technology in medicine:
Technology has brought a new revolution in the field of medicine; Nano technology is now a day serving medicine also in various stages of testing or actually being used.
- Drug Delivery: one application of nano technology in medicine is drug delivery to cells, this technology is developed and now using widely; with the help of technology they direct treat the diseased cell which allows direct treatment of those cells. This method reduces the damage to healthy cells and allows earlier detection of disease. Researchers are also developing nano particles to defeat the virus, these directly deliver an enzyme to infected virus particle in patients’ blood stream.
- Therapy Techniques: Scientists have developed nanosponges that absorb toxins from the bloodstream. These sponges are coated with red blood cells that travel freely in the blood stream and attack the toxins and remove them from patient’s blood.
- Diagnostic Techniques: researchers have developed nanotubes embedded in a gel; that are injected into the patient bloodstream to monitor the level of nitric oxide. The level of nitric oxide tells the inflammation, allowing easy monitor of inflammatory diseases. Developers also designed graphene oxide on which they attach antibody molecules to cancer cells to detect very low level of cancer cells.
Nano Technology in treatment of Cancer:
Nano technology in cancer treatment offers some new possibilities, including abolishing of tumors, detection of cancers at an extreme level, generic medicine for strattera elimination of cancer without damage to healthy tissue and organs.
Some applications of nano technology in cancer are:
- Nanospectra: this technique works for the treatment of cancer via heat. Nano particles aeroshells absorb light from the laser and convert that light into heat for the treatment.
- Cristal Therapeutics uses nano particle CriPex to deliver the drug called docetaxel to tumors.
- Researchers are using nano particles called dendrimers to deliver nucleic acids that suppress tumors i.e. this method can reduce tumor growth in mice.
- Researchers are trying to develop a chemothreapy drug (camptothecin) that targets breast cancer cells, the lab tests produced very positive results.
- Nano particle which looks like HDL cholesterol having gold nano particles at its core attacks lymphoma cancer cells to block them attaching from real HDL cholesterol.
- Magnetic nano particles are also developed that are attached to cancer cells in the blood stream to remove cancer cells before they establish a new tumor.
- A new technique involves chemotherapy that delivers tumor necrosis to cancer tumors. TNG is attached to gold with PEG-THIOL; that flow through blood stream without being attacked. This technique is known as Cytlmmune.
Nano Technology in treatment of Eye:
The eye is suitable for nano technology as it is very small organ. The use of nano technology in health and eye care revolutionize the way, some other technologies are also in trials and make a new way for treatment.
- Surgical Technique: with the advent of nano technology CNS surgery is changing, CNS uses artificially manufactured tissues that end the gap and nanoscale materials are using to join the nerves.
- Nano knives fabricated from silicon are using to make very small cuts without cellular damage to surrounding tissue, the blades ranging from the length of one hundred to several hundred nm.